Monday, May 6, 2013

Liberation Math; Math Resolve, the teaching environment and the teacher

        Ah, math anxieties and the society that supplies the angsts against the topic in general. When I was in grade school I didn't like math but I knew it was essential to pass school. I thought of grade school more of list of things I had to accomplish for a my high school diploma and kept that thought process though high school. The only thing that made me interested was art, something that was an extra something I didn't need to pass to get though highschool. Movies, animation, art was something that surpassed in and so I kept that now in college and will be my future career. Not everyone wants to be a mathematician or a scientist. I've seen many high schoolers pushed away from the arts or literature or history because they have been told the financial obligations of choosing that carreer. I was told by my guidance counselor that and I quote "Art is a horrible career". This just made my standard expression of 'realllllly' come into place. So then my next goal in my high school year was to find all the art colleges in my state and pursue the subject I was passionate in. I knew my academics were not that spot on so I was stunned why a counselor would push me into something I knew I wasn't interested in and something I knew I was going to fail at because I had 100% no interest in it.
Google Images o_o
        In grade school math was fluid for the most part until high school when teachers became easily flustered and didn't seem to be student orientated or they preferred one click over the other (yes teachers prefer some clicks over the others, le gasp). This teacher specifics in group children appreciation and non student friendly environments I remember more clearer then anything else in a classroom environment that was outside of my art themed classes.
        Over the progress of this college class it has pushed my thinking of how to teach my children when I have them or teach others in a classroom environment.
        Though now as an adult I have discovered that my love for technology has pushed me into understanding more complicated things then it would have been taught in a classroom. The people who teach online tutorials tend to put their lessons in interactive lessons and posses humor, unlike many wet blanket people I have met though high school.
        With this class I now know its possible to teach children in different manners that can be fun and not read out of a math book bore you to sleep kind of way. Children learn differently, there cannot be one way for everyone to learn to their max.
         Another thing I know is that all teachers shouldn't teach, yes a teacher can be awesome at their field but it doesn't mean that they get along with or have the patience for them or teaching other people in general.
         As a society we should expand our ways to teach our future generations along with how we teach our selves information and some subjects shouldn't be forced upon ur children to learn. If they are passionate about a subject let them fly and have fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment